20 September 2010

The Silent Ranks

Lately, I have been thinking about how my life has changed from five years ago. I was only nineteen, in college, having the time of my life. I didn't have a care in the world, except whether I would make it to class on time and what the weekend would hold. And then the unexpected happened. I was introduced to a man, who I now call my husband. In six days, we will be married for one year! 

It's truly amazing to think about the path I've taken to get me where I am today. Not only did I marry the love of my life, but I married into the military as well. Not everyone understands what it's like being a part of the 'silent ranks', but it's unlike anything I have ever experienced. Nine months ago, we found out we would be moving across the world to a little island on military orders. I still remember telling our family and friends we would be leaving for a bit. And it's not "goodbye", but rather "We'll see ya soon". I miss my friends and family more then words can express, but I know they will always be waiting for me wherever this "road called life" aka the military takes us. 

One of my favorite poems:

The Silent Ranks

I wear no uniforms, no blues or army greens,
But I am in the military in the ranks rarely seen.
I have no rank upon my shoulders, salutes I do not give.
But the military world is a place I live.
I'm not in the chain of command, orders I do not get.
But my husband is the one who does, this I cannot forget
I'm not the one who fires the weapon, who puts my life on the line.
But my job is just a tough, I'm the one that's left behind.
My husband is a patriot, a brave and prideful man.
And the call to serve his country, not all can understand.
Behind the lines I see the things needed, to keep this country free.
My husband makes this sacrifice, but so do our kids and me.
I love the man I married, soldiering is his life.
But I stand among the silent ranks,
Known as the Military Wife.

3 comments:

  1. I love you! and miss you. Thank you for being one of the slient ranks, you are so strong! :) hope you guys are doing well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! How in the world has it been a year already!!! This time last year (or maybe it was last weekend) we were in Indianapolis for your bachelorette weekend!!! Craziness!! And yes, I agree with Alicia, you're so strong and I'm so proud of you! Love and miss you so much! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww, you girls are so sweeet! I can't believe it's been a year either! CRAZY! I love you & miss you both!!!

    ReplyDelete